Pages

Saturday, June 18, 2011

My Three Fathers....

There are three very special fathers in my life.  First, my dad, Arlon Ray Pope.  I used to love watching The Waltons; and, recently, I've been watching reruns of the show.  After my dad died, watching Ralph Waite as John Walton really reminded me of my dad.  Still does.

Ray Pope

Ralph Waite


They don't really look a whole lot alike. I think it's more the character of the two men.  John Walton was a quiet man of simple tastes.  He was wise.  He was gentle with his children, disciplined with love, and taught by example.  He worked hard to provide for his family.  He stood up for what was right.  My dad was all those things as well.  He left us way too soon, and I still miss him terribly 12 years after he died.

Second, is my wonderful husband, Tommy.  He is such a great dad!  He taught both kids how to ride their bikes.  He helped with homework and used to keep the kids entertained in the car by creating intricate math problems for them to solve in their head.  He introduced all of us to the theatre--even taking each of us individually to see The Phantom of the Opera. (I think he's seen it about six times.)  He taught the kids it's more important to make memories than to buy things and worked hard to create special memories with both Lindsay and Matt.  He has modeled how to live a Christian life and set an example of serving in his church.  And, he prayed with both Lindsay and Matt to receive Christ as their Savior.

And finally, my son, Matt.  He will welcome his first child in November.  How can it be that my baby is going to have a baby of his own?  Wasn't it just yesterday that we brought him home from the hospital?  But, I have no doubt that Matt will be an awesome dad.  He is strong in his faith.  He has a wonderful wife.  He's had an excellent role model in his own dad.  I can't wait to watch it happen.

Thank you, Lord, for these special fathers.  What a blessing they've been in my life.


No comments: