Pages

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Saving grace...

I had lunch and shopped with my good friend, Jan, this afternoon and played Bunco with my girlfriends tonight. It was the perfect end to a very busy week--and probably saved my sanity. We always have such a great time, and there's lots of laughter. The perfect saving grace to an insane week.


Went back to work Monday after the two week Christmas break. The desk wasn't piled too high, but there are always things to catch up on. The day was going well until a snow storm came in. My boss sent me home about 3, since my commute is about 45 minutes; and he didn't want me to get caught in rush hour traffic in the snow. (Side note: I have the world's greatest boss and the best job.) Good plan, but it didn't work. The traffic wasn't too heavy, but the snow was. It took me twice my normal commute to get home. Safely, thank goodness.

Waiting for me at home was a voice mail reminder of my haircut and color scheduled for Tuesday at noon. Only problem was, I had noted the appointment for 3 pm in my calendar and had a meeting scheduled for 11:30 Tuesday morning. You ladies will understand how excited I was to get that done; and, thus, what a dilema this created. Fortunately, there were people who could cover for me in the meeting. Unfortunately, that means I have to facilitate a meeting/luncheon on Sunday without the benefit of attending the final planning session. Yikes!! But, my hair will look great. :-)

Tommy left for a Delta trip Wednesday morning about 9. At 10, I went to the kitchen to get something and discovered water in the dining room floor. Murphy's laws are alive and well--if anything is going to go wrong, it will be soon after the hubby leaves for a three-day trip. I think that's law #657 or so. An ice dam had formed on the section of our roof that overhangs our back steps, and water was seeping into the ceiling and dripping onto the floor. Mopped up the water, put bowls down to catch the dripping water, donned the snow boots, and went out back to rake the snow off the roof. Fortunately, it was a sunny day and enough of the ice melted away from the house that the drips stopped by the afternoon.

That night I was to facilitate a ladies Bible study that started at 6:30. The leader's guide says to "be in place with everything ready to go and ready to welcome guests at least 15 minutes before the study begins." When I got to church, the DVD player was not connected to the TV; and I couldn't find the cord. By the time I found the cord and someone who knew how to connect it, it was 6:35 and all the ladies had arrived. Good thing I'm not a Boy Scout because I certainly wasn't prepared. But, God's grace is good. The ladies were very understanding, we still had plenty of time to finish, and the study is excellent!


Back to the office Thursday where it wasn't too busy a day. However, gremlins had invaded every piece of electronic equipment I touched--copier, printer, and two different computers. For example, I needed to scan a two-sided newsletter at the copier and email it to my computer. A simple task. Loaded them into the document feeder, pushed 2-sided, and hit start. The copier pulled the pages through as designed then gave me an error message that said "job done improperly and deleted." Three different times I got that message! Finally had to scan the pages one side at a time and send them as individual scans. By the end of the day, I was ready to toss everything into the parking lot and run over it.

That night I was back at church for a ladies fellowship. My job was to prepare the punch, so I had purchased the ingredients earlier in the week knowing Thursday would be a busy day. I had a few errands to run, so I left about an hour early. Just as I finished the errands, it dawned on me all the punch ingredients were back at the house. So I made a mad dash back home cursing my stupidity all the way.

Thank goodness it's Friday! And, tomorrow is always a better day. Right?

No comments: