Pages

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Missing my dad


Today marks the 10th anniversary of my dad's death. Don't mean to be morbid--I just miss him and can't believe he's been gone so long. He was a special man and a wonderful husband and father. Here are just a few reasons why:

  • He was a man of conviction. Today's inauguration reminded me of the time he voted for a candidate who didn't stand much chance of winning. But, dad believed in his candidate and backed him whole heartedly rather than follow the crowds.
  • He was honest.
  • He demanded we do our best in every endeavor and set an example for his children of how to do so.
  • He stood up for his family.
  • He was a hard worker and a good provider.
  • He could fix just about anything. Looking back on it, that was probably because there wasn't extra money to pay someone else to do so; but he never complained--just did what had to be done.
  • He set a wonderful example of a loving husband.
  • He was patient. I remember him teaching me how to make change using the coins in his pocket. It took me forever to catch on, but he just continued showing me how to count the money back.
  • He taught me how to drive a manual transmission and never complained of a whiplash from my jerky starts and stops.
  • He knew when to punish and when to hug.
    • 2 comments:

      Penny said...

      After 34 years I still miss my dad. Fathers days, his birthday and the anniversary of his death are days that still kind of pull at my heart. Other days of special note for our family also cause me to miss him terribly, like Jordon's wedding, graduations, etc. I often wonder what he would of thought of me as an adult, of my children, of the people they have grown up to be. I'm with you Debbie.

      bug bites said...

      I miss him too. He was the source of my strength. Today would of been his 76th birthday. He inspired me, guided me, encouraged me and stood by me. I have never met anyone that could stand in his shadow other than my brother-in-law.